Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Swedish Christmas Traditions: Glögg.

I've decided to make a new series on my blog this December were I tell you a little bit more about some of the Swedish Christmas traditions. First up is glögg, the Scandinavian version of mulled-wine that Lush did famous with one of their holiday themed shower-gels a few years ago.


Glögg is a pretty big part of the holiday season in Sweden. Everyone drinks it and everyone has an opinion about how the perfect glögg should taste and how you should drink it. You can get glögg both with or without alcohol and since a few years back you can also get glögg with different flavors like vanilla, blueberry or chili (?). But the traditional ingredients of glögg are red wine, sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, cloves and bitter orange. Glögg is traditionally served with raisins and almonds (you put the raisins and the almonds into the glögg before you drink it). 

Most people have special mugs for their glögg (little holiday themed mugs in the same size as espresso cups). The most famous brand that makes glögg is Blossa, they always make a special variation of their glögg that is unique for every year (both in taste and the design of the bottle). You can see the glögg from Blossa that is unique for 2013 in the picture above. 


5 comments:

  1. Oh this looks lovely! I can't wait to drink mulled wine and eat some mince pies! Catching up on your blog as I've been away from it all - but I'm back!! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited about this blog series! I love learning about other countries' traditions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds SO good! I might have a go at making it myself this season!

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, it sounds very interesting!

    ReplyDelete