Thursday, December 5, 2013

Swedish Christmas Traditions: The Televised Advent Calendar.

This is the series where I try my best to explain a few of the Swedish (or Scandinavian) Christmas traditions. Today I'm going to talk about the televised advent calendar (julkalendern in Swedish). A televised advent calendar is a televised series with 24 episode for everyday starting on 1st of December and ending on Christmas eve. The episodes are around 15 minutes long and the series are mainly aimed for children (but a lot of adults enjoy watching them as well). The first televised advent calendar in Sweden aired in 1960. The advent calendar is different every year and every Swede has one televised advent calendar that has a special place in their heart.


I have two televised calendars that are my favorites. The first one is Sunes jul from 1991 which is the first one I remember watching (I was 4 years old back in 1991). This was a really funny advent calendar about a whimsical but yet pretty typical Swedish family and their Christmas traditions. We actually have Sunes jul on DVD and watch it every year and it's still hilarious! My other favorite is Mysteriet på Greveholm, a story about a family that move to a castle to celebrate Christmas but the castle is also the home of two confused ghosts.

You can find more information about the Swedish televised advent calendars here. And you can watch one of my favorite episodes of Sunes jul here, but it's in Swedish so you're probably not going to understand it...but still...

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like such a good idea, I wish we had something like this. Would be such a lovely tradition to watch every year!

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is adorable, we don't have this tradition here but it sounds so lovely! Great post dear! ♥

    Liana x
    Dress Code Chic

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a sweet tradition. I have never heard of it before. How lovely to watch it together.

    ReplyDelete